ABOUT LANDSCAPE PHOTOGRAPHY
I seek light and shade mainly in the mountainous areas. I often photograph in difficult weather conditions, far away from civilisation. Each night spent several thousand meters above sea level brings new experiences that I try to transfer to photosensitive material.
It took me a long time to understand that the place where the photo was taken is irrelevant to me. It is not difficult to duplicate Instagram frames from any place visited during a short photo trip. The presented galleries contain photos created over the years in various locations. More than documenting a given place, I focus on visualising my perception of the phenomena and personal experiences. It is impossible to assign feelings and moments to a given country or region. Instead, I prefer to focus on analysing the quality of light, contrasts, searching for the “spirit of the mountains” – regardless of the place.
Galleries never present the objective way of perceiving landscapes – I invite you to familiarise yourself with my vision. It will be nice if it becomes a source of inspiration to look for your own, unconventional way of seeing.
I’ve collected my photographic experience in over 20 countries. I am a member of the Photographic Society of America and the Fotoclub RP. I won the National Geographic Grand Photo Competition, I was a finalist of Sony World Photo, Hamdan International Photo Award and other prestigious contests. My works have been presented and awarded in several dozen competitions and exhibitions in Poland and abroad. In 2018, I became the ambassador of the Tamron brand. I am the founder of the Light Guides photographic project in which I provide tuition to photography adepts, sharing my knowledge and experience.
“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”
— Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Over 300 of my works have been exhibited and honoured at international exhibitions and photo contests in 25 countries. Recent achievements:
- Winner, XL edition of J. Sunderland’s Mountain Landscape
- Runner-up Monovisions Photo Awards 2020
- Finalist of Hamdan International Photography Award
- Winner, National Geographic Grand Photo Competition
- Honorable Mention, PCA Circuit, Macedonia
- Gold Medal PSA, Arizona Camera Club Council Salon, USA
- Bronze Medal PSA, Arizona Camera Club Council Salon, USA
- Medal, Arizona Camera Club Council Salon, USA
- Medal, Arizona Camera Club Council Salon, USA
- Honorable Mention, Saguaro Camera Club Salon, USA
- 3x Honorable Mention, Phoenix Camera Club Salon, USA
- Honorable Mention, Photography West SCW Salon, USA
- Salon Praise, Rtanj Digital Circuit, Serbia
- 2x FSS Praise, Rtanj Digital Circuit, Serbia
- Bronze Medal, Rtanj Digital Circuit, Serbia
- Gold Medal UPI , Rtanj Digital Circuit, Serbia
- 2x Honorable Mention, PCA CORSICA Grand Exhibition, Serbia
- Commended Image, Sony World Photo Awards
- FIAP Diploma, Artfoto, Bosna and Herzegovina
- Honorable Mention,, Fotoferia International Exhibition, Poland
- Bronze Medal FIAP, Digital Art Photo Salon – DAPS-Rovinj, Croatia
- Honorable Mention,, Digital Art Photo Salon – DAPS-Rovinj, Croatia
- Honorable Mention,, 11ème Festival International Photographique de LA GACILLY, France
- Honorable Mention, German International DVF-Photocup, Germany
- Honorable Mention, Sydney Harbour International, Australia
- Bronze Medal, FOKUS 1st International Photography Exhibition, Turkey
- Honorable Mention, Fotoferia International Exhibition, Poland
The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera
— Dorothea Lange
No camera takes photographs by itself and even the best equipment does not guarantee good photos. However, I believe that it is worth having the best equipment possible so that good photographs can become even better. Here I describe the equipment that I most often use and which I can 100% recommend. If you want to photograph in difficult conditions, often in the rain or in the -20C degrees frost, reliable equipment must be the basis of each photographic expedition!
My body of choice, tested in the harshest conditions. An equally successful model for the predecessor D810. I appreciate its sensor resolution above all when preparing prints. The detail reproduction is amazing!
New acquisition. Lightweight backup for the D850. Same resolution sensor, more compact dimensions and contrast detection AF. Thanks to the second body I can simultaneously photograph using wide angle and telephoto lens.
Equipment for special occasions. Analog photography requires a completely different approach from the digital one. I usually use the reliable F6 when I feel that I am not moving forward with my photography – in this way I look for new challenges and photographic inspirations.
There was a time when I photographed much more at the ultra-wide angle lenses. Currently, I use them for handling special tasks. Good image quality goes hand in hand with small dimensions – 12mm Laowa fits in my pocket.
Tamron replaced Nikon AF-S 24-70 F / 2.8. It managed to add great stabilisation to the very good optical quality which I had in Nikon. That’s why I have decided not to use a tripod so often.
Stabilisation, stabilisation, stabilisation. Tamron SP 70-200mm G2 is amazing in this area. Shutter speeds of 1/50 at the long end are not a problem for this lens, and sometimes I can get a sharp image at 200mm at 1/6 sec. The focal range is almost perfect for me and I use it even more often than 24-70.
Optically, at the long end it is obviously not as sharp as Nikkor 600 F/4, but such a focal length and only 2 kg of weight is a reason why Tamron accompanies me practically every time I go to the mountains. By adding TC, you can photograph ants on the moon.
FLM CP-10 tabletop tripod
Very handy equipment which I often use for creating smartphone timelapses. The compact size is not a problem, even if you want to place the Nikon D850 + Tamron 150-600 kit on it.
I use fewer and fewer filters, especially ND which I try to use as minimum as possible. Polarizing filters are the basis of my equipment. I practically do not remove them from the lenses. I use screw-in filters, which are easier to clean than square filters, which are impractical in rainy conditions.
GREGORY BALTORO 95L PRO backpack
A good backpack is the key to success. I only use Osprey hiking backpacks. No photo company has yet developed a good support system and a hipbelt. I store the equipment in my backpack in a special insert, designed by me, which is the result of cooperation with a local leather craftsman :)
Backup of photos in the field is essential. I use an authorial solution consisting of an SSD, USB hub/card reader and a telephone.
L-brackets – without them, it’s difficult to get good vertical photographs with a tripod. Powerbank – Ravpower Solar 25000 mAh – high capacity that allows you to charge your phone, headlamp, camera batteries and other accessories. The solar panel can save lives in crisis situations. Charger – Hahnel HLX-EL15HP – weighs as much as nothing and charges 2 batteries simultaneously from a power bank. Grip Gear Movie Maker 2 – a cheap motorised timelapse slider. Filter cloth – only LEE Filters Lens Cleaning Cloth (they make poor filters, but great cloths).